"In the end, we are where we come from."--Peter Gomes

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Of Derby Hats and Delightful News

Last week I went to the annual HDS ball:


And yesterday I went to a Kentucky Derby party, where my horse finished in dead last place but my hat and dress were a blazing success (and you can't see it here, but I am wearing silver flats, which were A-DOR-A-BLE with the dress):


Sadly, I do not spend all my time gallivanting about like a debutante, since a) I don't come from an old-money family, and b) it's not 1882. In the midst of my social commitments, I also find time to write tedious final papers and secure summer employment and make plans for the next year.

Yes, friends, I have plans for the next year, humdullallah. Harvard, in a fit of poor judgment, is funding my independent study proposal and I will be living in South Africa for at least a year. It was such an insanely long shot when I applied for it so it's the understatement of the decade to say I am pleasantly surprised. I'll leave in August or September, no final date yet as I am waiting for the ridiculous World Cup-inspired airfare prices to approach normalcy again. My project is on the role of religious institutions in facilitating dialogue around issues of racial justice and reconciliation and adding their voices to the conversations in political science, sociology and international relations that have appropriated these words but don't recognize that they are implicitly theological...hello? hello? I have totally lost you, haven't I? I know, it's of interest only to me and, apparently, the Harvard committee on graduate fellowships. But that is enough. It's a variation on the old "me plus God equals a majority" line we learned in Sunday School. Me plus the fellowship committee=exactly as many people as I need to be interested in this project.

Anyway, more plans as they emerge, but obviously the door is open to any of you who want to visit.

9 comments:

dave said...

"me plus God equals a majority"
I like that Shannon, and I'll go a step further and say that all the great souls has that in common.

Thanks for focusing on South Africa. Reconciliation is proving to be more elusive than we thought but on the other hand, there is enormous potential if we can figure things out.

dave said...

Those pics are really cute! Based on your plans, it looks like you're gonna to miss our Durban July Handicap (equivalent to your Kentucky Derby) - another great excuse to dress up and strut yo stuff!

Shannon said...

Dave, I will be there in July 2011 though so I will be sure not to miss my chance to dress up and strut!

I think countries like the US and SA which are actually struggling with what it means to be multicultural, multiethnic societies in which everyone's rights are protected are much more interesting than places like Europe, where you throw in a handful of brown-skinned people and the whole country has an identity crisis and starts banning clothing and architecture (yes, Switzerland and your minaret ban, I am looking at you).

po said...

Hey, I finally refound your blog!

Ok I thought I was following your project proposal title, but I got lost along the way... It sounds so cool. Where abouts will you be working?

Actually I find Britain to be amazingly good at being mulitcultural in comparison to SA, but then it's a whole different scenario. But I do love the way here mixed race couples are all over the place and on one bats an eyelid. I meet so many people from around the world here that I forget where I am.
SA is just an extreme place, people still struggle with that kind of thing.

Shannon said...

Hi Po!

I'll be primarily in Cape Town (to take advantage of UCT, UWC and Stellenbosch) but also Joberg, Pretoria and Durban. And wherever else I may land, I'm kind of playing it by ear.

I think of the UK as separate from the rest of Europe--I do think they do a slightly better job of being multiculti than, say, Holland or France. That said, I think people of color make up only 7-8% or so of the population?--as opposed to the US where non-whites are 25% of the population, and SA where non-blacks are about 20%. So the UK can absorb a small number because that's what they have--a small number. Countries like the US and SA pose a bigger challenge in trying to figure out how to be genuinely multiracial, multicultural societies.

Damaria Senne said...

Actually, I also find your topic interesting.

And ja, as po asks, whereabouts will you be working on your study?

JudyB said...

Love the pics -- and especially the red dress -- thanks for posting.
Hope I get to spend some time with you this summer -- perhaps Friday night movie and pizza with your folks?
I haven't met Harley yet -- but he seems to be a slow learner. He had better shape up or he's going to be outta there!
Thinking today about your folks in Italy -- know they're having a great time.
Judy

mvij said...

Hi Shan99
We have not seen anything from you in 2011. We really enjoy reading your comments about our country. I was touched by your article about the Bantu education system. My cousin is a teacher by profession and we share the same frustration. South Africa has a lot of resources that could be directed to improve the standard of education. Our academics are the source of the problem. I am not impressed with the amount of information that has been left out compared with what used to learn at school. Our Universities expect to see a well prepared student that could challenge the world from the inferior material that was used to prepare the foundation. The South African basic education system cannot even compete with Zimbabwe because Zimbabwe is still using the British a and o levels. Here in South Africa the A and O levels are reseved for the few elite and come at a premium. We look foward to see your 2011 articles.

Shannon said...

Hi mvij--thanks for the kind words. It's my New Year's resolution to blog more regularly so please come back in a few days, I should have a new post up. (I was in the US for much of January.)