"In the end, we are where we come from."--Peter Gomes

Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Week From Today

A week from today, I will be drinking mimosas and getting facials with my friend Naomi (congratulation on your MBA from Penn!) and my little sister (congratulations on being a cog in the giant corporate machine!) in Philadelphia.

And two weeks from today, I will be at the beach in Texas with my godson Torian, whose picture adorns this blog. (He is the one not wearing a cowboy hat and bikini.) Side note because it's funny: he was recently overcome with fear of "little people." I can understand that, it would have to freak you out if you were 4 and there were suddenly grown-ups who were your size. Tori saw his first little people in Target and was simultaneously terrified and mesmerized. He dragged his mom after them and, when he couldn't find them in the aisle, whispered earnestly, "Maybe they were magic."

Magic little people in Target. I would love to live inside that kid's brain.

Anyway, the most notable thing is that before I make it to Philly and then Texas, I will graduate from Harvard. All the graduates from every Harvard school will gather in the Yard on Thursday. Someone will give a speech in Latin, professors will show up in their colorful regalia, there will be pomp and circumstance, and you can mock it for pretentiousness but I will be part of a ceremony that is older than this country, part of a tradition that goes back to a mere 16 years after the first Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. For all the "liberal elite Ivy League" reverse snobbery that the Sarah Palins of the world like to throw at Harvard, there is no more American place, and I am proud to take my place among the ranks of its alumni, who are present in every field of endeavor and every corner of the globe.

Here's a glimpse of where I've spent the last three years:

In Harvard Yard in the Fall
Widener Library, where I spent more time than I care to remember.

This is the statue of John Harvard.  You're supposed to touch his foot for good luck.  You're not supposed to know that drunken undergraduates routinely have contests to see who can make their urine arc elegantly onto John's foot.



This is the view from the steps of Widener Library, across Harvard Yard to Memorial Church.  It's  a sight that makes an all-nighter at the library almost bearable.

Veritas.



4 comments:

dave said...

Congratulations on your graduation Shannon!!!
Nice pics and I like that you wear Africa so close to your heart.
btw. I sincerely hope, you won't continue to call your godson Tori for too long. But I guess its OK at his age. I think Tor is preferable later on since it has a nice manly ring to it ;-)

Shannon said...

Thanks, Dave! And Tori is occasionally used as a boy's name here, so I don't think he'd catch too much flack about it. But I think we'll probably call him Tor or Torian or TJ (his initials) when he gets older.

JudyB said...

Loved the pictures -- thanks for posting. Wish I could be there with your folks to celebrate. I look forward to seeing you when you're back in Texas.
Judy

donna said...

I hope you washed your hand after touching that foot.